Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Exporting vm's from ESX to VMWare Server 2.0

Well, I hate to say it, but VMWare Server 2.0 is a little clunky. I don't get a lot of confidence using Internet Explorer to admin my vm's, but I can live with it. I also don't like how the vm admin service runs as a network service. It seems like it should be an optional install, in case IT policy allows remote administration of virtual environments. It just seems like its just one more thing to manage and watch for, an unnecessary increase in network attack surface with an application that may be very easily subverted.

What I can't live with is the mouse control, or lack of it, at the console of a windows OS running in VMWare Server 2.0...and it's running on a system with 4GB ram, a decent proc and win2k3 Std R2. Using the vm over RDP is reasonable and works well.

I was able to successfully import a ESX 3.5 image with Converter 3.0.3 to a VMWare Workstation 5.x compatiable image into VMWare Server 2.0. It didn't work with a VMWare Workstation 6.x compatiable image.

I wonder if VMWare has a security group that tries to crack its own apps?

No comments: